February 18, 2011

The Sunny Side, February 16

The surgeons were great, the physicians order good meds, but it's all the other people--nurses, dieticians, therapists--who have really made a difference since the operation. They are the ones who are really making a difference, ensuring that my muscles are exercised and healing properly. About the first words I heard here were “We don’t believe in just lying in bed. We want you up, eating in the dining room, and will start physical therapy tomorrow.” It's a good philosophy--no chance to just lie around and think about pain.

Last night as I was trying to get to sleep, the following doggerel came to mind. It’s silly but heartfelt.

ODE TO THE SNF* NURSES

They help me to the bathroom.
They know when I’m awake,
They chart my every bite and sip
Before they go on break.

They check my skin for bedsores
And how I breathe in bed.
And often check my vitals
Am I alive or dead?

I buzz. They come, and quickly know
Just how my senses feel.
With care like this I have no choice...
I cannot help but heal.

-Sybilla Cook


*Skilled nursing facility

No comments:

Post a Comment